Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MTG Salvation's Art Contest

MTG Salvation has monthly art contests that I occasionally participate in. This month the theme was to take an artifact, in my case Metalworker, and make it green. Both in terms of falling in line with the game's (Magic the Gathering) flavor as well as eco-friendly. So here are a few in-progress screen caps from that project as it unfolds. Normally I simply ink and color my work in similar fashion to some of the other pieces showcased here but I wanted to try something a little different with my final piece.


Step 1. Pencils - After roughing out some sketches for the main figure as well as some background elements I scanned them and assembled them in Photoshop.



Step 2. Grayscale Tonal Comp - With the sketches scanned and laid out I started by roughing out the overall tonal composition of the piece. This helps me decide before I introduce color what will 'pop' and what will fade off into the background.



Step 3. Color - Here I've started adding coloring slowly over the greyscale version. Again I'm trying to push certain features and downplay others.



Step 4. More Color - Here's the latest version of the piece. I've flushed out the color a bit more and am now able to go in and add some detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment