Monday, June 7, 2010

Daily Doodle - Monster Inks


Inked this while listening to the Escape From Illustration Island podcast with Kevin Cross earlier today. They had a good discussion about changing their styles. One thing that stood out to me was Kevin's comment on how challenging a simpler cartoon style is to achieve. That's one of the things I have struggled with in my own work; just how cartoony or quasi-realistic to make it. How much detail to include. Every piece is a single step in a never ending journey. I created a second version as well and after staring at them all day I'm not sure which one I like more. Or less. One seems heavy handed and the other seems littered with unnecessary details.



//DOUBLE EDIT:


Here's a completely different version I sketched and inked. Not sure if its better or worse than the others or simply different.
-------
In other news, this weekend I took a day trip up to Charlotte for Heroes Con and had a blast. I got an opportunity to reconnect with some friends from college as well as meet some others I know online. It was a great experience and really got me excited about my work and the comics industry at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment